Friday, December 9, 2011

Past and Future - Weekend Reflections


There is something so warm and friendly about home.  This is home to me.  Our home is over 100 years old. I often reflect upon the woman who once cooked there over a wood stove--the one still outside our kitchen door.  I think about the bread she baked, rolling it out over the green marbled surface I now use as my desk top.  The aroma of baking bread would have filled the entire neighborhood.  I wonder what Christmas was like here, over a century before I arrived.

Reflections of past and the future interlaced here in my home.


When I walk through The Abandoned, the contrast between home and this place strikes me.  Emptiness reigns in the present.  One wonders about its past--and what the future will hold.

For more wonderful reflections from around the world, be sure to visit James at Weekend Reflections.


WARNING: Think twice about visiting The Abandoned without permission. You risk getting arrested for trespassing.

5 comments:

Martha Z said...

A reflection of vision and a reflection of mind, I like this reflection post.

Sylvia K said...

A marvelous capture for the day and I do agree with Martha! I really do like this one as well! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sylvia

Valerie said...

A charming, creative and beautifully framed shot Beth, and I enjoyed your accompanying comments. Wishing you a great weekend.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A thoughtful post! Sometimes comparing then and now brings some sadness to the surface, but also a thankfulness for what we have! Your door is beautiful and there is a moving sense of spirit in the second photo!

genie said...

Our old farmhouse is over 100 years old, too, and I often wonder about the stories the walls hold from the past. The deserted building in your second capture is to stark and sad compared to the charm of your old place. Your words describing the two are wonderful and fit so well with the pictures. A grand post. genie